Hot Yoga Evolution is an approach, not a method.
It is an approach to ‘being’ (a way of life). It is not a method, where a set of rules or dogma are to be followed by all in the same way.
At the heart of our approach to Yoga practice is the understanding that having achieved personal healing is a foundation for continued personal development (the evolution of man is the evolution of consciousness).
At the heart of our approach to teaching Yoga are such universal values as professional excellence, integrity and kindness.
In a nutshell, the difference between my Hot Yoga Evolution and Bikram Yoga is three-fold.
One, from the Student perspective:
- Let’s practice more than 26 postures, because we are interested in a more profound and more balanced development. We use sun-salutations, core exercises, hip-openers, additional back-bends, etc. depending on the Students in class. Most of the class is a set sequence of postures, and 20-30% are variety.
- Beginners and students with injuries are given modifications, because we want for them to be more successful. The experienced Students are offered advanced variations.
- There is also Warm Vinyasa which incorporates Hot Yoga postures, and the vinyasa (flow) class is done in a set sequence, because this enables the practitioners to track their progress.
- There is also the Level II practice (intermediate / advanced) of 90 asanas: a combination of balancing postures, bends, inversions, twists, binds, arm balances, breathing and cleansing exercises.
- Overall, this creates an amazing variety of Hot Yoga classes for all levels of practitioners.
Two, from a Teacher’s perspective:
- In the Hot Yoga Evolution, teachers teach without dialogue (aka script). The teachers are given tools to teach in their own unique language and style. This approach allows the Teachers to feel more inspired, more successful and more authentic. In addition, compassion, kindness and patience are encouraged and valued. We offer teacher training and personal support sessions for existing Teachers.
In Hot Yoga terms, this is huge, because often Hot Yoga teachers are tired, uninspired, impatient, and bored.
Three, from a Yoga Studio Owner’s perspective:
- Hot Yoga Evolution is centered on achieving success with Beginners and people who don’t do yoga or are intimidated by it. This is done by encouraging the Teachers to be more technically skillful, kinder and more patient.
- The experienced Students are offered more advanced practices and teacher training – then continued education. This is done by encouraging the Teachers to develop a more advanced Hot Yoga practice (Level II) and methodology.
Overall, this allows the Studio to sign up Beginners from their first trial classes more frequently , as well as retain more advanced Students, without losing them to the competition.
Behind the business structure of our work lies our Company’s and our true purpose: the union with the divine.